Tuesday 1 December 2020

Benefits of exercise

 Hi

How the time has run away and how have I spent the last month running after it :)

One of the pleasant victories of the pandemic season for me is being able to maintain a strict exercise routine... even when other temptingly attractive options popped into my head. I have missed the routine of my local gym in England and the wonderful friends I connected with on those visits. I say friends, because they were super encouragers when the pace got red hot and my Costa 'choccie' created voice bubbles over my head. 

Yet, I am very happy to say that the exercise regime over the past months of lockdown has encouraged me to keep pressing forward even though the journey was done solo, without those valued friends. But how I miss my gym and Zumba buddies!

How about you? Have you, like me, been enjoying the benefits of the YouTube exercise videos? Do you have a favourite someone you like to train with?

On a serious note, there are two important points that I want to share in this blog.

Firstly, very many persons have suffered from depression or some form of mental challenge as a consequence of the pandemic. For example, in the UK, according to the ONS, adults aged 16 to 39 years old were more likely than other adults to be experiencing some form of depression during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Around one in three (31.0%) 16- to 39-year-olds experienced moderate to severe depressive symptoms during this time. This compared with one in nine (10.9%) before the pandemic. 

When persons suffering from depression approach the primary care setting,  they are generally treated with pharmacologic therapy alone, which often takes weeks to kick in. Research has shown that when exercise is used as an intervention in cognitive-behavioural therapy, treatment outcomes are greatly improved, symptoms of depression are alleviated. Exercise works.

Secondly, let us remember to show gratitude to our friends and families. Let us recognize their value. Let them know how much you value them. Don't leave it until it is too late.

Until next time,

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment