Wednesday 30 December 2020

What can you learn from your 'Go-To' position in 2020?

 Hi

This is my last note for the year 2020. My word! It has been an interesting journey so far this year, has it not? I certainly did not expect the year to pan out the way it did as mentioned in a much earlier blog. However, through the many 'ups and downs', 'twists and turns' that I experienced, there have been a lot of great learning experiences. Over the months, I was able to observe various behaviours displayed by folks as they responded to challenges that were presented, be it as a result of the pandemic or otherwise. I share one 'go-to' position that got my, and that of most of the globe's, attention this year.

Most of us are aware of the Black Lives Matter demonstrations which took place, not only in the USA but in many other parts of the globe.  The demonstrations were a response by Black Lives Matter's activists and followers to the horrendous murders of black men and women, particularly in the USA. It was obvious that there was outrage as a result of a perceived injustice, so much so that people who would not normally be publicly vocal, joined the thousands to demand justice for the black lives lost prematurely. 

The demonstrators reminded me of leaders like Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and to some extent Mother Teresa, who engaged in self-sacrificial behaviours during difficult times. What makes these persons admirable leaders is the reason behind their sacrifices are obvious in a very uncomfortable, uncertain environment.

As human beings, our behaviours are conditioned by our thoughts, motives, identities and our interactions with others. The way we choose to behave or react to a particular situation, helps us to understand ourselves better, on reflection.

This year helped me to become more self-aware than ever. Knowing what thoughts and actions felt appropriate and which ones to remove myself from have made me more empowered to deal with crises. Listening to the various feedback on the demonstrations helped me to evaluate my 'go-to' position. In general, knowing which battles to fight and which ones to walk away from is an empowering feat. 

As you close out 2020, and reflect on some of the behavioural choices you made, what was your natural 'go to' position? What new thing have you learnt about yourself when experiencing a crisis situations? Do you need to change any aspect of yourself as you move into 2021?

I hope that the New Year will be one of growth for you. May you be positively transformed because of what you overcame in 2020, and be inspired to help another to rise.

Until

Jo-Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment